Thursday, December 2, 2010

Deck the Halls

Years ago when my grandmother passed, I was asked to pick out furniture and treasures from her home in Tennessee and have it shipped to my home here in California. My grandmother loved beautiful things and she had saved generations of mementos and heirlooms. One of the little things that found their way here was a handful of these small wooden houses. Cut from plywood with a coat of hastily painted cream paint. They each have an old eye hook stuck in the roof. I wonder who made them. Why the eye hook? Where did they hang? Why did my grandmother keep them? Maybe she saw some potential in them? . I crafted this one up, but plan to keep the others plain, maybe just hang them from a sweet ribbon.

Most of the supplies are Jenni Bowlin, the book plate is Making Memories. Wings are from Maya Rd. I sprayed them with Cherry Maya Mist and after that dried I applied a thick coat of Glossy Accents and sprinkled Martha Stewart Garnet Glass Microbeads(the set I used is on sale right now at 2 peas). The faint bird near the roof was stamped in black Memento ink and then I rubbed the ink off with a towel. I used one of favorite products from May Arts, it is called Twisted Burlap and it is a little thicker than the Burlap Twine you usually see me use.






Me, outside in my robe and slippers, about 35 degrees, waiting for Beau to eliminate. Instead, he is taking his sweet time...






5 comments:

Jenni said...

oh that is so beautiful and i love how there is a connection with your grandmother. Gorgeous, Samantha!!!

~* steph :) *~ said...

i love your ornament, sam! it's just perfect how you've embellished it, love the sentiment. great colors, love the JOY and the microbeaded wings.
oh beau is too cute!
thanks for sharing and have a great day!!!
*hugs* steph :)

jen said...

This is so sweet- and is sure to be treasured too... :)
good luck with Beau! Cosmo FINALLY started to chew on his KONG toys- thankfully- since he was DESTROYING any other toy offered!!!!!

Suz said...

Sam,
He's adorable! I have a yellow lab. These lab pups are only small for about...three days-! lol. Be prepared for him to have a gluttonous appetite as well. Best wishes for lots of adorable pics this Christmas with the newest member of your family!

C said...

Oh, my gosh..I don't know what's cuter, your ornament or that adorable puppy!